Hero Project Book

My Hero: Danielle K.

By: Jack E.

My hero’s name is Danielle K. She works at Duke University at the Duke cancer center. She was born in Middletown, Connecticut and had nine sisters! She now lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She also goes to Duke Physicians Assistant School (PA School). Here is the story of my hero:

Danielle started gymnastics when she was in second grade. She enjoyed gymnastics and was very good. However, when she was in 9th grade, doctors found a teratoma tumor in her abdomen.  She ultimately had to quit gymnastics because the surgery would take her out for four months. Missing that much time in a competitive sport like gymnastics would make it difficult to get back to her current skill level. The weekend before her surgery, she went into competition and won three gold medals in the events that her doctor allowed her to compete. It was a great finish for the end of the sport she loved.

One trait that describes my hero is caring. I was at my friend’s house and we were getting ready to leave for the Ronald Mcdonald house to help kids with cancer. Danielle is a very busy person with loads of studying and work to do for school, but that day she chose to spend time helping the kids at the house. We prepared a meal for the sick kids and their families. Later that night she was up late working and studying for school. After that day, I realized that she was one of the most caring people I know.

Another trait that would describe my hero is devotion. I was with my friend Austin, Danielle’s son, and we were playing at my house. Every time we would pass through the living room, Danielle was studying. For the rest of the weekend, all she did was study for her tests later in the week. I was thinking to myself that I don’t think I could ever be that dedicated to any one thing for that long. She had a lot of self-discipline and I admire that about her. I was astonished that one person could be so devoted to something.

The third trait that describes my hero is her generosity. I remember one weekend my dad had to go out of town and he asked Danielle to take care of my sister and me. She said yes and took care of us for that whole weekend even though I know how busy she is. I never really realized how helpful and generous with her time she was then, but now that I look back, I realize how nice that was of her to take care of us. She is always willing to give time to help us and I am very grateful for that.

My hero has impacted my life in many ways. She always spends time with me and she is a great person to talk to. I can always talk to her about what ever I am thinking about. She helps my family get through the day by helping us move around and be there when we need her. I am so grateful for what she does for me and my family. She will always be my hero.

2 thoughts on “Hero Project Book

1. I’m all for celebrating student works, but shouldn’t this be taken down before some reporter tumbles to it? The writer’s identity is poorly protected, and the subject’s identity isn’t protected at all.

This is written by a vulnerable minor, after all, and reveals sensitive medical history about the subject.