Dalton’s Hero Story

My Hero: Scott Bradford

by Dalton B.

My hero is Scott H. Bradford. I call him dad. My dad was born on April 30, 1965 in Boston, MA. He was adopted by my two grandparents at birth and lived in Durham, NC for the rest of his childhood. As a child he traveled a lot with the Duke basketball team because my grandpa was the doctor for the team. Some of his hobbies growing up were playing sports, trading cards and making model rockets. He currently lives in Chapel Hill and is a music attorney and a part time real estate agent.

One of the reasons why my dad is my hero is because he is always there for our family and he is very brave. He is the kind of hero that you read about in books because he literally saved my brother’s life once! One time, my brother and I were playing volleyball by the pool. My dad told us not to go into the pool unless he was right there with us. I accidentally hit the ball in pool and I told my brother not to go in and get it. He was only three and he didn’t know how to swim, but of course he just jumped right in. He started drowning! So I screamed for my dad. He immediately ran outside and jumped in with all his clothes on and got him out. My brother was covered in blood on his face and we had to take him to the ER. He was fine but he had to get stitches because he had hit his head jumping in. I never forgot that day and if it hadn’t been for my dad things would have turned out very differently.

My dad is a hero because he has a lot of determination. Sometimes we play basketball or we go running and he never gets tired and quits. He wants us to have fun so he will keep playing for a long time.  He’s also the only dad I know who will play video games with his kids. He loves to play Call Of Duty, Zombies or Black Ops with me. Many of those games are hard to figure out and most people in his generation would never have the patience to learn them. My dad was determined to learn them so he and I could do something fun together and I admire that about him.

My dad is also very creative. He can always make up some sort of game for us to play when we are bored. He will also jump into any game my brother and I are playing and make it even more fun with his great ideas. When my brother and I were younger we always liked to play hide and go seek with him. He always made it more fun and frightening. For example, when we finally found him, he would roar or do something wild that would make our hearts thump and jump out of our skin.

My dad has impacted my life by showing me to be brave, caring and fun. My dad always helps me when I need help with something that I can’t do. For those reasons and a thousand more, my dad is my hero.

2 thoughts on “Dalton’s Hero Story

1. It was very interesting about how your dad jumped in the water to save your little brother from drowning. I’m just a little bit curious, how old were you when this happened and was the cut badd on you brothers head.