My Hero

this is my hero:

My Hero: Chelsea Gray

by Jack M.

For my hero, I chose Chelsea Gray, who is the point guard for the Duke Women’s Basketball Team. When she was a kid, she really loved basketball. She attended Saint Mary’s High School before coming to Duke. She was born in California. This year, she earned the title of second best player of the year in the Atlantic Coast Conference. She is also on the ACC all academic team.

If you have ever watched her play, you notice right away that she is a pass first player. The reason she is a pass first player is because when she was in sixth grade, she made a perfect behind the back pass in Amateur Athletic Union. A pass first player is a player who passes first before a shot. Now she is being compared to Magic Johnson for her vision and amazing passes. So if it hadn’t been for that pass she made in sixth grade, she might have never turned into the player she is today. Here are some more facts about Chelsea Gray.

Successful is one of the biggest traits that my hero has. The way my hero shows this trait is by getting straight A’s in high school. Now think about this for a second. If you are reading this, you realize after thinking about it, that getting straight A’s in high school is not all that easy. You may be thinking, “Well I get straight A+s or got straight A+s on my report card too!”  What you may forget is that my hero is one of the best women’s basketball players in the country and she still gets straight A’s in all of her subjects. These A’s also come from one of the top academic universities in the whole country. That is a big accomplishment for a young person. Also, I may have forgotten to mention that she attends Duke for free! That is right, she attends Duke on a full scholarship! My hero has also gotten a triple double in a division one basketball game! A triple double  is when you get double digits in three different stats in basket ball like assist, rebounding, and points. These are the reasons why I think my hero is very successful.

Respectful is another trait that my hero possesses. One way she shows this trait is by doing exactly what she is told when she is told to do it. She listens well and does not interrupt. She also shows her respect  for the game by hustling and running whenever she is on the court. Once, during a basketball practice, the rest of the team came off the floor by walking to the coach, but Chelsea ran without the coach telling her to “move it”. She also always pays attention and asks questions. Questions show the coach that you are engaged and interested in getting advice and direction.

I chose Chelsea as my hero because she is so nice, especially to me. When I show up to practice and I look down, she cheers me up. She talks to me every time I come to practice. She even compliments me on my game.  She is kind to everyone, not just me. She cheers people up just like she cheers me up. She even asked me to play one on one. To me that is really nice.

Thank you for reading my hero story. I hope you learned something about being a hero and what it takes to earn someone’s admiration, even if they are just a kid like me. I also hope you can watch Chelsea Gray, my hero, play in a basketball game sometime. She is number twelve on the Duke Women’s Basketball team.