iPads at school by Caity B.

My school, Durham Academy, has recently provided iPads for everyone in the middle school. I personally think iPads are good. iPads make it a lot more environmentally friendly since now we can use apps such as Evernote to find where the teacher posted homework instead of using paper. Evernote makes it easy to take notes without paper and increases my organization. There are also apps like Penultimate, Skitch, Doodle Buddy and SketchBookX. These apps can help us draw without paper. I use these apps in math class to solve math problems. I use my finger to do the work! It’s especially helpful for erasing mistakes. Unlike paper and erasers that end up leaving a messy smudge,  using an app keeps my work looking neat. With these apps you can also take notes. In my opinion, Evernote is the easiest app we use to take notes.

There are a few things I really just dislike about the iPads. One thing is that we got this device because it is lighter, but we are still required to use binders in some of our classes! I wish more teachers would let us use the iPad instead of ring binders. It seems like only about fifty percent of the teachers use the iPads for class. Also, I have also noticed that some students are a little more obsessed with being on an iPad all the time rather than being outside or playing a board game. I sometimes worry that iPads will make us lazier since we our time focused on one screen and less time doing a variety of activities. I think the iPads are useful and helpful, but I think we should probably make sure there is balance in our lives also.

7 thoughts on “iPads at school by Caity B.

1. Ok, about the obsession thing. You said an alternative is “Playing a board game.” Just because something is not technology does not immediately make it better. Playing a board game is not very productive either. Your homework is NOT to play Guess Who. If you work by the logic you have presented here, you kind of have the same mindset as the teachers you were complaining about earlier.

2. I like the iPads for the most part! Sometimes it deletes my homework… Here or there, but for the most part I think that they’re good. Once or twice in my language arts class we didn’t have our iPads. We couldn’t really do much in class that day! I think we really use them a lot! What about you?