Hunger Games: Catching Fire, a Book Review by Will K.

From Flickrstorm: http://www.flickr.com/photos/apocaknits/6296665677/

Let’s get straight to the point, this book is great. What? You expected me to pan it and say it was a waste of my time? It’s the Hunger Games, what do you think I’m going to say about it? Now, this is a review from a person that has read the first book. So for all you newcomers, I’m afraid I can’t speak for you. I’m going to refrain as much as I can from spoilers, but I can’t promise to keep the entire thing a mystery. Let us begin: it takes place immediately after the first book, and Katniss is in big trouble with the capitol. After the incident at the end of the first book, the Capitol thinks Katniss has disrespected them, and that it might cause an uprising. You remember what happened the last time someone tried to do that, don’t you? Of course all of this leads to lots of drama, while President Snow and the Capitol is doing it’s best to make Katniss’s life insufferable. Getting into spoiler territory, folks, wee-oo wee-oo and stuff like that. The final part of President Snow’s plan is put into action. In the next hunger games, opposed to the usual plan where they take random people from each district, they use previous victors. BOOM PLOT TWIST SHAYAMALAN’D. Now Katniss is back in the arena, back to the old formula! Really, making the plot sound redundant is unfair, since it does have some variation from the previous book, mostly with the ending. I find spoiling the ending to be unnecessary, that and I’m lazy. As I stated previously, I like the book. The only issue I really can find with it is that many fans of the series with short attention spans might not like the first two thirds, as they deal mostly with drama, and build-up for Katniss’s second time in the arena comes much later. Not to say the beginning is bad or anything, but I can see how some audiences might not enjoy it quite as much. It’s a great way to continue an already good story, and I am going to very much enjoy the movie.

5 thoughts on “Hunger Games: Catching Fire, a Book Review by Will K.

1. That was hilarious! I really liked this book review and I think the way you balanced the sarcasm with the true facts made for a great review. Thumbs up on this one!

2. Hey Matthew, you mean the first one right? Catching Fire comes out in 2013. I’d actually love it if you made a critique of the first movie in post form, that would be interesting. I actually haven’t seen it yet, I plan to.