My Hero Story

My Hero

Robert DeVries

I have chosen a hero who has given so much to the world, and has also given a lot to me. He is somebody who inspires me, and somebody who I want to be like when I grow up. My hero’s name is Robert DeVries. He is currently 73 years old, and he was born on May 12, 1936. He was born in Chicago, Illinois. He worked as a hospital administrator for many years before becoming a philanthropist, which is somebody who gives money to other people without expecting anything for themselves. Currently, he is living in Battle Creek, Michigan, with his wife, Eleanor DeVries. He has four children, two boys and two girls. His oldest daughter, Susan Concannon, is my mother, making him my grandfather.

When my hero was asked about his childhood, his first response was that it was very difficult. His mother died when he was seven years old, and because his father was always working and couldn’t take care of him, he had to live with an aunt until he was almost ten. Money was very tight, and they barely had enough for everyday expenses. He had to change schools almost every year. Things started to straighten out once his father remarried a few years later. In completing high school, he met with a guidance counselor who believed that he definitely had the potential to go to college, and helped to get him into a university. He was one of the first people in his family to go to college.

I believe that my hero has many, many traits that make him heroic. First and foremost, is his generosity. He has spent most of his entire life giving to others, even though there were numerous times when he didn’t really have much to give. He gave money to create and design many art galleries and gardens throughout the state of Michigan, and he has set up scholarships for students attend several nearby universities. He created an organization that brings art into schools. I could list many more things that he has done, but, maybe most importantly to me, is the time that he gives to his family. I know that he is a very busy person, and yet he is always there to talk to us when we call, and we get calls from him frequently. We don’t get to visit his house nearly as much as I would like to, but when we do go, he is always there with us. When I think of how much he has given to others, it inspires me to do the same.

The second most important trait that makes my grandfather a hero, is his persistence. I know that his childhood was not easy, but he has never given up. He has always worked hard to achieve his goals, and when he succeeds in doing them, he works to create new goals. Even if you are extremely talented, and have the ability to do great things, you can’t accomplish those things if you don’t have persistence. He was willing to try something again if it didn’t work the first time. My grandfather would not be where he is today if not for his persistence.

The third trait that I find honorable about my hero are all of his many achievements. I am so proud when I think of all of the things that he has done. Not only was he the administrator of a hospital at a very young age, but he was also the youngest person to be in the American College of Healthcare Executives. He was one of the first people to introduce the idea of hospice, which is special treatment for people in the final days of their life. Hospice offers Wholistic Healthcare, which is a type of medical practice that focuses on the whole entire body. My grandfather was the first to push the hospice idea into the United States, and changed medical education across the state. My hero is a very accomplished man and I will always admire him for that.

I think that my hero’s greatest achievement is being the loving and funny father, and grandfather that he is today. I know that I have told you all about my hero’s amazing accomplishments, however, the part of him that is most important to me is the part that he shares with his family. The memories and silly things that he does with us when we see him are most meaningful to me. When we play badminton, somehow the birdies always seem to end up on the roof, and when we can convince him to play board games with us, we always have a lot of fun. His squirrel magic tricks, and his love of eating dinner on the patio are all the pieces of his personality that he shares with us. Even though he has done many things that have affected a lot of people, the things that have affected me the most are the time that he spends with his family, and the memories we make together.