My Hero. Nick C

My Hero: Mathiel Tyrone Covington, a.k.a. Ty Covington

My hero is my grandfather. He was born in Washington D.C. and lived with his mother, father and his four siblings. As a boy, he played games with his friends like street hockey and basketball. He played basketball and football in high school. As a teenager, he had a job at a fast food place kind of like Sonic. They brought your food to your car. After high school, he went to George Washington University. In college, he was a waiter and a meat cutter at a butcher shop. Then he went to MIT for a couple years. Soon after MIT, he and his brother Gerald were drafted into the navy to be in the Vietnam War. In the navy he and his brother did different things. My grandfather was a technician for a ship called the Destroyer. While in the Navy, he learned to drive boats, read morse code, and communicate to other ships with flags. Then after four years, he and his brother returned home to Washington D.C. Shortly after he came home, he got married to my grandmother Charlotte Covington, then he spent the bulk of his life at AT&T’s Bell Laboratories where he worked as a computer engineer for thirty years.

My grandfather is my hero because he is a very brave man. He lives on a farm in Virginia. On the farm he had lots of chickens. One day on summer break, I was at his house in Virginia and we went to the chicken house to check on the chickens. We noticed that there were two small black snakes on the back wall. My grandfather was not scared to go in the chicken coup because black snakes are not poisonous, but he knew snakes are bad for chickens. So my grandfather went to his basement and got a rifle. Then he went right back to the chicken coup. At this time, I was about seven years old, so I was scared. At first I was hesitant to go in because I hate snakes. Finally, I worked up enough courage to go in with him. A couple seconds later, he pulled the trigger and “BAM!” he hit one snake, and then “BAM” again, and he hit another snake!! My grandfather was not scared one bit. That story about my grandfather is just one example of his bravery. I also think that his service in the US Navy showed his bravery as well. I admire him for that.

My grandfather is generous too. He gives gifts to his grandchildren all of the time. He also gives his family and other people that he knows gifts too. He has also paid for some of my tuition to attend Durham Academy and he bought me the new PSP 3000 with Madden 2011! I will always remember the time he bought a new Gameboy for me when I was little. He also bought a bouncy house for my cousins and me that we used at this house for many years, but now we are too big for it. He also bought $25 Gamestop gift cards for my friends and me for no reason at all. The best thing he’s ever given me is our yearly trip to a Washington Redskins game. He also takes my grandmother and my aunt. He offered to take my mom, but she does not want to go. It’s not just the game that’s fun, it’s getting to spend that time with my grandfather that is the best part. My grandfather is a generous and thoughtful hero.

I admire that my grandfather is very active. He likes being outside. One of his favorite activities is playing golf. Almost every summer, I go up to his house he takes me to a golfing range or course. We also play basketball together he and used to beat me all the time, but now I can usually beat him. When I’m at my grandparents’ house and my friends come over, he comes out and plays football and basketball with us. He also has a lot of work to do since he lives on a farm, so he gets outside a lot. He lets me help out his farm. I like it that he gives me responsibility. I cut the grass and help him fix anything that is broken. My grandmother usually gives me painting jobs. I like it that my grandfather is healthy and active enough to spend time with me outside.

My grandfather has done a lot for me and my family. He helped me with school and math when I was younger. Also, he taught me skills that I’ll need to know throughout my life. My grandfather has done a lot for me. I like spending time with him because we have fun when we are together. That’s why my grandfather is my hero.