My Best Gift, By Lydia R.

My best gift was for my eleventh birthday: a camping trip with my best friend. We went to lake near the border between northern North Carolina, and Virginia. When we arrived, we carefully picked a nice, grassy camping site, with a beautiful view of the lake, and the perfect beach, and mini-cliff going into the water. We pitched the tent, a long, mainly unsuccessful process, then changed into swimsuits and went kayaking. But the water was so gross! It was full of red clay, and our skin and bathing suits were dyed red. Our feet stains didn’t come off for days. Our main goal of the trip was to catch fish. We tried hard, but only caught a catfish, which I refused to eat. We had a dinner of dried pasta, heated with boiling water. It actually wasn’t that bad, spaghetti with meat sauce. We went for another swim, though my friend was afraid to go deeper than waist- deep. She was afraid of fish. Plus, it was freezing. The next morning, we ate eggs, with bacon cooked over a fire. We went fishing again with no luck. Sadly, it was then time to go, and we packed up and went home. This was a gift I will never forget.