My Hero

My hero is my grandfather, Isador Damico. In Newark, New Jersey 1938, my grandfather, Isador Damico was born. My grandfather was very Italian and grew up in a neighborhood of mostly Italian men, women, and kids. As a kid he liked to play with other people in the neighborhood. The grade school my grandfather attended was named South Eighth Street Elementary. Up until he was eight they rented a house. When his grandfather, my great, great grandfather moved to Newark from Italy, they paid for a three family house! When he was a kid he took piano lessons from a blind piano teacher! In high school my grandfather was voted the “most likely to succeed” award. He received a medal and trophy. Also in high school he worked as a veterinarian helper in his first years in high school then became in charge of hiring people at movie theaters at his local cinema. My grandfather says that his best year was probably his freshman year because he got to meet new people. My grandfather’s brother died when he was sixteen from cancer and his sister is still alive today. I think my grandfather is a great man, now I would like to tell you some more things about him.

My grandfather, Isidor Damico is very brave. My grandfather was in the army for four years and served on the same ship. He never went to war but had many code reds where they were manning their battle stations. An example was when he was bringing John F. Kennedy’s chopper to a country off the coast of South America. When coming into port there were many guerillas up on the shores who were heavily armed. His ship immediately went to code red. Everyone manned their battle stations. My grandfather was the top gunner on the ship. The ship was on code red for 12 hours before the guerillas left. That’s just one of many examples of my grandfather’s bravery.

My grandfather is also very effervescent. He might tell the worst jokes but when the time is right he makes everyone laugh! When my grandfather is around everyone seems to be happier. My grandfather is not just funny, he also plays the piano and organ at his local church. When he plays at church, he takes pride in doing it! Whenever I ask my grandfather for help with homework, or ask him about social stuff, he is always a great listener! The most important thing though is when he is helping me with homework. My grandfather is very smart. He never graduated from college but that doesn’t mean he was not smart. For instance, he is an amazing person with computers. Whenever my computer freezes he’s there to help. I think my grandfather is very well rounded and very intelligent.

My grandfather is also very honest. Honesty can be a great quality especially when working. My grandfather believes he has been honest all of his life, even when he was a kid. For instance, while in the court system, a criminal asked him what it would take to get his record cleared. He paused for a second and said, “It would take a miracle to get your record cleared.” See what I mean, he could have said “I don’t know,” or “I don’t care,” but instead he was completely honest with the man. Another example is when he was often asked by lawyers if the could file something after the deadline and get it listed he would always tell them “If I could I would, but I can’t.” Honesty can also be a great quality when used in conversation. I think honesty is an amazing quality and I hope to take after him!

I believe my grandfather is my hero because of all these useful character traits he has. In my opinion these are some of the best things a person can have in their vocabulary of traits. When I grow up, I know that I will carry the lessons that my grandfather has taught me throughout my whole life. He is a very nice person and is always enthusiastic. I hope I get most of my grandfathers great characteristics and learn from his example. My grandfather is a great man and a great hero.